John Franklin and Henry B. Martin arrived in Oceanside around 1900 and opened Martin Brothers’ Meat Market on Second Street (Mission Avenue). They leased 1,700 acres on the Kelley ranch and raised cattle.
From 1900 to 1983 the Martin family operated a meat market in Oceanside, one of the oldest family operated businesses. The Martins were known for their fine meats but also for their work ethic and integrity. Many were staunch members of the First Baptist Church and active in civic affairs.
John F. Martin served several terms on the Oceanside city council and was appointed mayor in 1931. He also served on the Oceanside school board, was elected President of the Oceanside Chamber of Commerce and was a charter member of the Oceanside Elks, Mason and Kiwanis Clubs.
Resident Helen Beegle Osuna remembered that “Frank Martin’s Meat Market was the only meat market in town. He also ran a meat wagon delivery, house to house in the San Luis Rey Valley once a week. His brother was driver and butcher of the one horse wagon.”
In 1903 J. F. Martin purchased property at the northwest corner of Tremont and Second Streets (now Mission Avenue), just east of the tiny, modest market he operated with his brother.
As Oceanside grew, so did a demand for larger store to accommodate a growing customer base. Construction of a new store building began in 1923. The headline in the Oceanside Blade newspaper for January 20, 1923 read: “J. F. Martin Prepares to Start Work of $17,000 Structure on 2nd Street.”
“Arrangements are being completed and it is expected that the contract will be let in a few days for a fine business block which J. F. Martin is planning to build on his property at the west corner of Second and Tremont streets on the site now occupied by Martin’s Market and the offices of the Pacific Telephone company.
“The building is to be a fireproof structure of reinforced concrete throughout. It will be 50 x 100 feet in dimensions and of one story with a basement 30 x 70 feet under the east portion of the building. There are to be two storerooms fronting on Second street and one of Tremont street. One of the former will be occupied by the Martin Market with new and attractively arranged equipment and it is expected that the room on Tremont street will be occupied by the other present tenants.
“There will be lavish use of plate glass on both fronts with recessed doors and other features to make the building an attractive and sightly addition to that section of town.
“It is hoped to begin work within two or three weeks. It is likely that because of the need to provide accommodations for present tenants the rear portion of the building will first be completed and this with the time required to remove the other buildings will make the period for completion at least six months.”
On December 23, 1923 the Oceanside Blade published an article featuring the new Martin’s Meat Market and storefront.
“The last word in modern equipment best describes the modern meat market now building by J.F. Martin, and located at Second and Tremont streets. This market will be one of the most up-to-date establishments of its kind in this section. It was established by Mr. Martin in 1900 and has been under his personal and successful management since that year. But since the early years in business and the present time, wonderful changes have taken place and a modern refrigerating plant now takes the place of the old-fashioned, unsanitary ice box of years gone by, the equipment providing every advantage for the proper care of meats and other products.
“In the old days meat was served to the patrons within a few hours after the animal was killed, but the present day plan is entirely different, the meat being first being allowed to thoroughly cool in the cold storage department, thus increasing its value as food.
“With nearly a quarter of a century in business in Oceanside, Mr. Martin naturally is greatly interested in everything helping to upbuild his town and community and when called upon he may be counted to do his part in all movements that spell progress.”
In 1952 the Martins built a new building at Ditmar and First Streets (now Seagaze) to house their meat shop. The building downtown then became the home of Harry Turk Men’s Clothing. At that time it appears that the building was “modernized” and additional store windows were added along Tremont Street.
In the early 1970’s a business named “Mr. D’s Service Center” occupied the building. In 1980 the building was renovated by developer A. Marco Turk, son of Harry Turk, and Carlsbad architect John Landry. American Travel Service occupied the building in the 1990s, and it has served as real estate sales offices. It is currently a retail and souvenir shop.